Medicare rebates for 6 week courses
Medicare currently offers eligible individuals a rebate for 6 -10 group ‘Psychological Therapy’ sessions (IN ADDITION to the 6-10 individual sessions) with a Medicare registered Clinical Psychologist.
Please note that unless otherwise specified, the Medicare rebate is only available for 6 week courses, not for workshops or retreats.
To be eligible for the rebate, you will need a mental health care plan and a referral letter from your GP or Psychiatrist.
You only need a referral from you GP if you wish to claim a Medicare rebate for the course.
If you already have a mental health care plan and a referral for individual counselling (either with me or another psychologist), you will need to talk to your referring GP about adding group therapy to the care plan, and you will need another referral letter specifically for group therapy (details below).
To receive a rebate from Medicare you must:
1. Book a long appointment with your GP (or Psychiatrist) and receive the following (take along this GP info sheet):
2. Complete the registration form and pay the full course fee. If you would prefer not to register and pay online, contact me to make other arrangements. You can register before or after the visit to your GP.
3. Bring the referral letter and Mental Health Treatment Plan to the first session (alternatively your GP can send this to me at PO Box 174, Brunswick Heads 2483).
4. Attend all the sessions to receive the full rebate (Medicare only provides a rebate for classes you actually attend – currently $31.65 per class).
5. At the end of course, complete the feedback form (you'll receive this at the end of the course).
6. You will then receive a receipt that you can send or take to a Medicare office and claim your refund. Medicare also has an app you can use to claim your refund. More info here.
As Medicare only provides a rebate for the sessions that you actually attend, I will provide you with a receipt after the completion of the course, with the dates of the sessions you attended on it.
In accordance with Medicare requirements, I will:
For more information about Medicare, visit the Medicare website.
If you are uncertain whether your GP has completed all the necessary paperwork for you to be eligible for a rebate, please confirm this with your GP or call Medicare on 132 011.