Simple Rituals for Letting Go
Are you ready to let go of something that is no longer serving you?
Ritual can be a powerful way to do this.
I like letting go rituals that are simple.
Here are some ideas:
- Write down what you would like to release (a list, a story, a letter, a poem, a drawing or a photograph) and burn it to ashes. As you do so, you might like to say to yourself “with love, compassion and gratitude for myself and all beings, I let go, I let go, I let go.”
- There are other ways to let go of what you’ve written. Try putting it through the shredder or ripping it up and throwing it in the compost (so it can act as a fertiliser for your growth).
- Release it to the wind. You might release the burnt ashes, or symbolically let go of a feather, a dandelion or allow the sand to flow through your fingers at the beach on a windy day.
- Try a breathing practice. Inhale and imagine yourself breathing in love, or whatever you wish for yourself. Then exhale, visualising what you’d like to let go, and say silently to yourself “I release, I release, I release.” Perhaps notice how the visualisation fades as you repeat this, and you’re left with the exhalation and the silent statement of letting go.
- At the beach, write what you would like to let go of in the sand, near the shore when the tide is coming in. Watch as the waves wash it away.
- Write in your journal what you’d like to let go of. You might like to start with ‘with love, compassion and gratitude for myself and all beings, I let go of ……….”
- Wash your hands or have a shower, and as you do so imagine what it is your letting go of washing away down the sink.
- Practice the ease of letting go by cradling a soft cushion or toy in your hands, then gently moving your hands apart and allowing it to slide through your fingers and drop to the floor.
Try including gratitude in your letting go ritual. Say thank you for the lessons you’ve learnt. You may be ready to let something go, but before you do, acknowledge the blessings that it brought, however small.
What letting go rituals have you tried, or would like to try? Let me know in the comments below.
With love and gratitude,
WANT MORE LIKE THIS IN YOUR INBOX?
Sign up to get the keys to the Inner Wisdom Library (free meditations, eBooks and more)
I’ve been consciously creating a life of meaning and purpose for myself and supporting others on their paths for many years. However it wasn’t until I met Dr Richard Miller and began the journey into iRest Yoga Nidra that I heard the term Heartfelt Desires, and fully...read more
If you’ve ever tried to let go of an old habit, or create a new one, you’ve no doubt found how challenging it can be. I’ve previously written about the six steps to changing a habit - they include clarity, noticing, self compassion, acting consciously,...read more
Escaping our emotional experience is a full time job for many of us. It's not uncommon to spend a vast majority of our lives trying to stop ourselves from feeling what we're feeling. It's exhausting! But when we can let ourselves feel our emotions, we can cope with...read more
Sign up to stay in touch +
access the Inner Wisdom Library
free meditations, eBooks + more for wholehearted living